Monday, May 26, 2008

Just a Walk in the Park...

Oak Mountain, a beautiful testimony to God's creation!
I am SO grateful to live in such a great city as Birmingham! Among so many other wonderful aspects, we have some beautiful parks and attractions!

Russell and I just bought season passes to Oak Mountain State Park because we go there all the time! You can do ANY kind of activity there! Hiking, running, road & mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boating, lake swimming, golfing, etc!! There are lots of fun races out there, too!

We decided to go hiking yesterday, so we packed our gear, our energy gel packs, a picnic lunch and plenty of H2O and Gatorade and headed out! It was pretty neat...we learned that Russell enjoys a slower pace, taking in all the scenery, while I enjoy a much quicker, cardio pace. We mostly went his pace, since our packs were pretty heavy, especially his at about 20 lbs! Next time, we'll just carry our camel backs and go for speed! :)
Russell's so cute in his "boonie" hat! :)

I picked up a walking stick for part of the hike...felt like a real, genuine hiker!! ;)2 hours & 4.5 miles into our hike, we were more than ready for our picnic lunch!

We had a great time! We did, however, run low on energy toward the end. I stopped on the trail, bent down and rested my hands on my knees, looked up and said, "Honey, I'm tired!" I had no clue how much further we had to go...later to learn we had 5 more miles ahead of us! UGH! We got back to our car, went and bought me some mountain bike tires for our next Oak Mountain expedition :) (YEAH!!), went home and crashed for a nice, long nap before church.

More pics here!

No comments: