Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Easy Chocolate Crackled Cookies

Hey, gang!

So, when I was invited to a cookie exchange a few weeks back, I unfortunately was about to immediately dismiss the idea...I know, I know, you're thinking, "What a scrooge!" My reasoning behind the disinterest, however, was pure lack of faith in my ability to bake two dozen cookies, and yummy ones at that! So, before nixing the idea altogether, I decided to wait (perhaps to get my courage up??? :)).

I'm thankful for waiting because the Lord led me to see this as an opportunity beyond simply baking some cookies. Brilliant! Shouldn't I always have this perspective?!?! Absolutely! So, He laid a couple of friends on my heart, and they were all about it! So, we're heading to the cookie exchange together tomorrow night! We'll be brimming with yummy cookies and ready to share in an evening of fulfilling fellowship with some other great girls!

Now, for the cookie recipe I chose...I went to my favorite cooking source - All Recipes - and did a search for "Easy Cookies!" :) Hee hee! Seriously!! So, here's what I'm taking to my first-ever cookie exchange!! This is actually my third batch of these particular cookies to bake in less than a week! We've had other get-togethers, and it's the perfect gift for our sweet neighbors, so I've enjoyed this EASY and YUMMY cookie recipe. I now share with YOU!

Above, prepared and ready for baking!!
Below, freshly baked and so pretty!!!

Easy Chocolate Crackled Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening (I just used a stick of butter)
1 tablespoon water
2 eggs
1 cup confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
In a medium bowl, beat with mixer together the shortening, water, and eggs. Add the cake mix, and mix with a spoon (not with mixer) until smooth.
Roll the dough into walnut sized balls in the confectioners' sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes in the preheated oven. These are best served the same day, as the confectioners' sugar becomes absorbed by the cookie giving it a pasty look. This can be fixed by dusting the cookies with sugar again.

If you want to spice this recipe up a bit, try adding a teaspoon of nutmeg, a teaspoon of vanilla and maybe a half teaspoon of cloves. I did this for the second batch, and they were yummy!! I just forgot to add the extra spices tonight! :( Oh well. They're good both ways.

Next, I'm going to try this recipe with a box of yellow cake mix...with a certain sweet friend in mind who can't eat chocolate. So, she can handle these. ;) "Love ya, girl! Get well, and get ready for some yummy cookies!"

4 comments:

Darby said...

If they taste half as good as they look... they'll be DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Ashley Matteo said...

hey
im proud of u for going to the cookie exchange and hope u had fun fellowshipping. im sure looking forward to my vanilla cookies!
ashley

Nicki McDonald said...

You have got to be kidding me with this post!! I have to tell you that my best friend in Texas every Christmas made those exact same cookies for me and I miss her and those cookies! How amazing that you, being such a wonderful friend in my life, has made the same cookies. So funny to me! Looks like you did a great job! I don't bake real well either and shutter at the thought of a cookie exchange.

Sophie Grace said...

Thank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about net worth