Thursday, January 31, 2008

'Do-Over Christmas' 2007

I admit, I could not understand why our Christmas in Louisiana did not "work out" for the "planned" weekend in December. Sure, I understood that everyone was sick, and I hated that for them...the misery of illness, especially when during a time of planned family fun and fellowship!! I knew with certainty that this was indeed our Lord's will, but my heart was still yearning for a satisfaction that only HE could give. So, I continued to pray, asking for God's perfect peace to satisfy my soul in this lack of understanding. I was sad and frustrated due to the sudden change in plans and no "head's up." My memory verse at this time was Philippians 4:6-7, which God knew I would need...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Oh, what a reminder that our timing is not our Lord's perfect timing; our plans are not our Lord's sovereign plans! What a reminder to remain flexible in our 'plans,' genuinely seeking out HIS plans...because they really are for our best. In the midst of prayer and re-'planning,' God worked out all of our schedules (Russell's & mine & all of his family's) so that we could celebrate Christmas together in Louisiana this passed weekend. We could not have 'planned' for a better time than He! Although brief in our stay, the quality of time with Russell's family was the answer for which my heart's been longing! Yet another lesson: quantity does not necessarily satisfy as quality satisfies! We learned that Christmas can be 'done' in one day! :) We sat by the most beautiful blazing fire from morning until night on Saturday, sharing and catching up, laughing, relaxing, napping, watching movies, exchanging fun and very thoughtful gifts, snacking on homemade cookies, divinity, seafood gumbo, venison burgers, etc! It was only one day, but it seemed so peaceful and so relaxing and so 'wright' :) that I can remember every detail, as if the day had been in slow motion. It was SO good for my soul! 'Do-over' or not, I choose the Lord's timing any time over my own timing!

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

Christmas 2007 Pictures

No comments: