Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 17 Months, Rhys!!

Rhys is into everything these days!
First and foremost, he is ABSOLUTELY 'into' his daddy! First thing in the morning, Rhys wakes up either saying, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy..." until I get him out of his crib, or, once we're out of his room, he'll be saying, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy..." Daddy's gone long before this little guy wakes up, so I try to be quick with distractions so that I don't have to deal with a sad heart. You better believe he's all over his daddy when he walks in the door at the end of the day!
One afternoon this week, I was trying to work on my computer, and Rhys was not about to let me have fun with that cool, bright, colorful 'toy' without having part in it. So, I got smart, and I gave him his very own 'computer!' :) Look in his hands below. He thought it was cool, and it worked as a fun toy of his own...for a while!Yesterday, I found Rhys putting on Mommy's shoes. Yes, my feet are HUGE! :) Especially against his little body! The picture is blurry b/c I didn't give the camera enough time to focus for fear I'd lose the photo opp! :) SO cute! Such an inquisitive little fellow...like his daddy! JUST like his daddy!
So, of course, I helped him accomplish the "feat"! ;)
Then, as I was packing our bag to take Rhys to the pool, I walk into our bathroom, and he's stepping into our trash can! What is it with him putting his FEET into everything?!?!? :) This morning, he had his foot in his snack trap! :) Then, he proceeded to put other stuff into the trash can...
And just for fun, I had to take a picture of what he looks like when he's ready to go outside....DESPERATELY waiting and by no means patiently! Can't you just hear him now? "Mommy, come on already! Forget the snacks! Let's just get to the pool already!" with fussing between every word. :)
Lastly, this child is into using his utensils! I had NO clue! I saw a friend's post where she was teaching her daughter {same age as Rhys} to use a spoon and fork, and I thought, "Hey, we'll give that a shot!" Rhys picked up his little fork, and he's learning to use it properly! What great timing! Maybe he'll completely feed himself before his brother gets here in 6 weeks!?!?! :) {okay, that would be amazing!}And this picture shows you how 'into' watermelon he is...don't you love the look of excitement over his face!?!? Or maybe he's telling me, "That was a really big and really COLD bite, Mommy!" It was right out of the fridge, so maybe that's what he's communicating. :)

Happy belated 17 months, Rhys! You are into all things these days, and, although it sometimes just about causes my heart to stop when I see you attempting something new, I know in my head it's all part of the growing-up process, and I need to let you try and learn new things.

Russell and I are constantly telling each other, "I love this little boy!" We do, and we have fun imagining and dreaming what Caleb will be like and how these brothers will interact as they, Lord willing, get to grow up together. It will surely be challenging but such a blessing in every sense of the word! I praise our Lord for His blessings through children! {Now, if I could just figure out Rhys' sleep schedule since we've been in a new environment. He wakes up around 5:00/5:30am, naps ONE measly hour around lunch time and goes like a little crazy man until we put him down around 7pm. Today, I'm trying something new...he awoke at 5a, napped from 11 to noon, and I just put him down for a second nap about an hour ago, and he's OUT, so maybe that's the discernment I've been praying for! Go back to two naps! We'll see!}

1 comment:

Ashley Matteo said...

hey
he is getting so big and thats great that he is using his utensils. nathan likes to hold them but insists that i still feed him everything. hopefully you will have more success than me in that area. im glad rhys took another nap today and maybe thats what both of yall need. it was great to talk with you and i will be praying for yall's weekend